The Book of Psalms
The book at a glance.
- 150 chapters, 2,461 verses.
- The book of Psalms is a collection of lyric poems.
- Israel’s hymnbook.
- particularly associated with worship in the temple in Jerusalem
- “largely a Temple collection”
- The thing that the psalms do best is express a full range of feelings and reflections of the believing soul
- "an anatomy of all the parts of the soul"
- "there is not an emotion of which any one can be conscious that is not here represented as in a mirror.”
- The psalms are self-contained compositions, meant to be read individually.